We have noticed the past couple of months that Kiefer has had some reactions to different foods we have given him. It first happened when we gave Kiefer a bite of a granola bar... he started coughing and his saliva started getting thick. Luckily, we had a breathing treatment with albuterol and it cleared him right up. We had given him other food at this sitting so we weren't sure if it was the granola bite that did it.
The next time he had the same reaction when he had a bite of another granola bar... and we figured out that it had almond slivers in it. We said, "No Almonds".
Then yesterday I gave him a couple of bites of a Lara Bar... I knew it didn't have almonds... and he had an even worse reaction to it! Guess what, it had crushed up cashews! With this reaction, he broke out in hundreds of little hives on his forhead and started getting that thick mucus again and coughing. I gave him a breathing treatment and took him to Walmart to get some benedryl. I talked to a pharmacist and she said that I should get an epi-shot on hand in case Kiefer has a really bad reaction. He has reactive airway disease so any little thing, like a cold or allergic reaction, could cause his airways to over react. Talk about scary. I brought him home and gave him the benedryl... he broke out in even bigger hives on his neck and chest! He must be allergic to benedryl, too! Like his mommy!
Today, Krue was eating cashews out of a can... and little Kiefer somehow managed to get a handful and shove it in his mouth. I quickly scooped out his mouth. I gave him a teaspoon of benedryl, because that is all we had on hand. He broke out in the larger hives...but no breathing troubles.
This little boy... He keeps us hopping! We need to get him to the doctor so we can have an epi-shot on hand ASAP.
No more nuts for Kiefer!
3 comments:
Poor little guy. The second child thing is holding true for both of us. On the move and into trouble.
That sounds so scary! You handled it much better than I would have. I hope he doesn't have any more reactions like that. Poor little thing:)
Very scary! It's good you posted this on your blog - then anyone around him will be aware of his nut allergy!
Post a Comment