Voting

Saturday, May 09, 2009

What a Nasty Virus!

This past week I have been taking care of a really sick Kiefer. He had Fifths Disease! I noticed last Saturday night that Kiefer had a red, raised rash forming on his left upper arm. He woke up Sunday with a rash on both arms and a low grade temp... about 99.8. He was very lethargic and just wanted to lay in bed or on the couch. Throughout the day on Sunday the rash spread down his arms and to his hands. He threw up in the night on Sunday and was very itchy. Monday the rash spread to his legs and feet. Tuesday the rash spread to his butt and lower torso. It never reached his upper body or face... although his checks were pretty pink. He maintained a temp (99 or 100 degrees) for about 5 days and stayed on the couch for the majority of this time. He scratched his "itchies" so hard that he has scratch marks all over his body that have scabbed up. Some of them bled! Kiefer didn't have an appetite at all... but did a great job of drinking fluids. He lost some weight for sure.

Even today, Saturday, he still isn't himself. He is still weaker than normal and doesn't have much of an appetite. He also has swollen and achy joints... specifically his ankles and has a hard time walking. This is something that is common in older children and adults after getting over fifths disease. Don't know why Kiefer is having these symptoms... but I guess he had EVERY SINGLE OTHER SYMPTOM that goes along with Fifth's Disease. Why not this one? :( The achiness and swelling should go away in a week or two.

Poor guy! He is very whiny and wimpy at this point. I am still babying him because I know he is in some discomfort. I carry him a lot... which I won't be able to do as much in the next month. Please pray that Kiefer is back to his old self soon. And also that the rest of our family doesn't develop it. Fifths Disease can be pretty serious in pregnancy. Most adults are already immune to it because they have had it once in their life and didn't realize it. Yes, most kids breeze right through it with just a rash for a couple of days. Kiefer got it pretty bad!

Just want to say "Thank You" to my friend Melanie... who drove the kids all last week to school, kept Krue a little longer each day, and brought me beautiful flowers to brighten my week. What a great friend!

This picture was taken on the 4th day. His eyes were incredibly bloodshot!

This is what the rash looked like all over his arms, legs, and torso.

5 comments:

Myah said...

Poor guy!

Dear God,
Please heal Kiefer quickly and comfort his itchies. Also, please help the others to avoid it, especially Erin! Protect the baby.
Amen

Rebekah Hubley said...

Poor baby!!!!! That looks awful!!! I am glad you made it through the week. That is so tiring... I will pray that no-one else gets it...

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad he seems to be getting better. I REALLY hope you or Krue don't get it. I'm always here if you need anything!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen with Myah. How are things going today?

Love you,
Linda

Joe said...

omigosh!!! I've never even heard of "Fifths". Poor little guy. I hope he gets better soon, and doubly hope that the rest of the Nagels avoid it.