On the fourth day Lee and I were in Bali, Mom, Dad, Adam and Natalia joined us at the resort. We made plans to take a road trip up to the city of Ubud ~ located in the center of Bali and known as the cultural hub of the island... the place where traditional Balinese painting, dance, carving, and religious ceremonies thrive. We were going to Ubud, not to see the arts, but on a mission to find two places.
Have you ever read the non-fiction book "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert? (I know I mentioned this book before in a previous blog entry.) If you haven't read this book... you must! It is one of my favorites. Part of the book happens to take place in Bali! More specifically, Ubud! Elizabeth Gilbert goes into great detail about the different places she visits in Ubud and the people she meets. My mom and I have both read this book... so we were very excited to check the people and places out. Adam and Natalia thought it would be cool to see these people and places and then read the book, so they went along, too. Dad stayed back at the resort to relax... and Lee...well you know Lee, always off on a crazy adventure of his own. He went scuba diving at a reef close to Sinuar Beach and then surfing in Kuta :)
The first place we visited in Ubud... you are going to die if you have read the book... The Balinese Traditional Healing Center where Elizabeth's good friend and healer, Wayan Nuriyasih, runs her healing center and restaurant!
The center was just how I had imagined it would look. Wayan, unfortunately, was not there that day because she had a funeral. But, we got some good pictures and ordered the famous "multivitamin lunch".

The sign outside of the healing center/restaurant.
She has fresh herbs and potted plants outside of the shop.
Her massage sign and prices.
Mom, Adam, Me, Natalia standing inside of the Balinese Healing Center.

The food with labels that tell what vitamins and minerals they contain.

More pictures from the healing center.
There was a guest book that we signed. It was amazing to see the places people had traveled from to see the healing center.

The multivitamin lunch! Seaweed, sprouts, rice, veggies, and more.
Next, we ventured over to see ... are you ready for this...
The medicine man from the book ~ Ketut Liyer!
Ketut looked just like what I had imagined (with only one tooth hanging crooked in the front). It was crazy! He read Adam and I's palms and gave us both good reports. We are both going to live for a very long time ;) He told us much more than this... you'll have to ask me what he said the next time you see me. I have to do his cute Balinese accent to give it the full effect.
Here are some pictures of us getting our palms read...


A group picture with Ketut. Such a neat experience!
He gave us his business card when we were leaving and told us to tell all of our friends about him so they would visit and he could read their palms.
This is what his business card reads:
Mr. Ketut Liyer
*Medicine Man *Healing + Meditation *Palm Reading *Balinese Astrology * Painter + Woodcarver * Home Stay
What a fun day it was!!!
Video of The Balinese Healing Center.
Adam getting his palm read. If you listen closely, you can hear Ketut telling Adam that he will live to be 105!
3 comments:
Hey, I did not know that you were taping that little informative lecture that I gave our driver. Oh, Brother! :(
I love that your last video has roosters crowing in it... I know that was not the point of that at all, but it made me think of Haiti. There are roosters crowing at all hours of the the day...even in the middle of the night--that gets annoying! :-) Debbie--your "lecture" was great! I want to go and read that book.
Can't wait to see and read about the rest of your trip! I am loving this!
Thanks for your enthusiasm for my blog entries, Becky... I'm glad you are enjoying it! This is a lot of stuff to journal about. I can't believe I'm not done yet. I'll be happy to have the information and pictures documented when I am finished.
I agree with you... I think my mom's "lecture" was great and informative. She looks cute.
Post a Comment